Venue: Hybrid Meeting
Contact: Samantha Schanzer Scrutiny Adviser
Cllr Bright and Cllr Harvey as the Cabinet Member for Community and Wellbeing.
Declarations of Interest
The minutes of the previous meeting held on the 28th November 2023 were agreed as a true and accurate record.
Prevention and Inclusion
Mandy Shide - Service Manager for Prevention and Inclusion
Rhianydd Williams - Service Manager for Integrated Family Support
The Service Manager for Integrated Family Support (IFS) and the Service Manager for Prevention and Inclusion (PI) presented the report.
· The Committee congratulated the Youth Service for their aim to achieve the Silver Quality Mark.
· The Committee queried who provided out of hours support for Youth Services. The Service Manager (PI) noted that most support was provided in-house but there were some contracts with community organisations with specialist skills.
· The Committee appreciated the inclusion of case studies.
· The Committee raised concern that incomplete actions were reported as green and highlighted the action for Robust Volunteering Provision. The Service Manager (PI) assured Committee of ongoing work with Communications and Human Resources and anticipated that the action would be completed by the deadline, which was why it had been marked green. The Cabinet Member for Social Services – Adult Services noted that actions could be influenced by outside parties and subject to delays which could change its RAG rating but highlighted that green ratings indicated that an action was on track. The Cabinet Member for Social Services – Children’s Services highlighted that the commentary for actions would provide context and highlight any difficulties. The Service Manager (PI) informed Committee that no risks had been identified regarding the volunteering project.
Children and Young People Services
Councillor Stephen Marshall - Cabinet Member for Social Services – Children’s Services
Sally Ann Jenkins – Strategic Director for Social Services
Mary Ryan – Head of Adult Services
Rhian Brook – Service Manager for Childrens Teams
The Service Manager for Childrens Teams (CT) presented the report.
· The Committee queried the issues regarding staff retention. The Service Manager (CT) informed the Committee that it was a national issue and that there were difficulties within residential services specifically. The Head of Adults Services noted that there too few Social Workers in training which created a deficit and highlighted the importance of retention and training which Newport City Council offered though the Open University.
· The Committee queried whether there were contingency plans regarding the Not for Profit/Eliminate project. The Service Manager (CT) informed Committee that they had looked to address the highest cost pressures such as reducing the use of agency staff by bringing in internal staff and building on the existing portfolio, citing Cambridge House which was due to be ready in July 2024.
· The Committee queried what could be done to increase collaborative working with the NHS. The Cabinet Member for Social Services – Children’s Services informed the Committee of the close relationship with the Health Service which covered a spectrum of areas. They noted the significant pressure on NHS services and added that the work of Social Services helped reduce the quantity of hospital patients. The Service Manager (CT) highlighted Windmill Farm as an example of collaboration with the Health Services and added that Windmill Farm was at full capacity.
· The Committee queried whether there ... view the full minutes text for item 4.
Conclusions of Committee Reports
Following the completion of the Committee reports, the Committee will be asked to formalise its conclusions, recommendations and comments on previous items for actioning.
· The Committee thanked and congratulated staff for their hard work.
· The Committee requested an information report regarding the work being done for care leavers, including housing.
· The Committee highlighted the importance of funding for the VAWDASV service.
· The Committee recommended looking at alternative internal provision for the Newport Dementia Hwb.
a) Actions Arising (Appendix 1)
b) Forward Work Programme Update (Appendix 2)
a) Actions Arising
The Scrutiny Advisor provided an update to the Committee on the outstanding actions.
b) Forward Work Programme
The Scrutiny Advisor informed the Committee that the Budget meeting date had been rescheduled for the 16th January to ensure that it fell within the consultation period.